Burn Baby Burn (04/04/09 - 07/03/09)

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Important Support-ants

B2B W4: 145/250, ***, 8 stairs/3 left

When I got separated, I decided that I didn't want to eat my way through the divorce process. I decided to only eat when hungry and until full. It forced me to deal with the emotions. I remember right when I was about to move out feeling really lonely on Mother's Day. I don't have children and my mom and I have a cordial relationship that is growing into a friendship. A tape started playing in my head about how lonely I would be, and that I don't really have any friends, and that all my friends had lives. So, to shut it up, I went through my cell phone and called every mother I knew just to say, "Happy Mother's Day".

I was surprised at the range and quantity of friends that I do have. I realized I was not alone. I was just cutting myself off from life. That's when I got in the habit of calling friends, having coffee chats, and setting up frequent lunches.

I was separated for 17 months before getting divorced (NC rules, bleh). During that time, I called on every resource available to me to keep me supported and enfolded in love. I volunteered. I called friends. I asked for a dedicated chaplain from my spiritual community. I went out with friends. I spent a lot of time in reflection and listening to India Arie. I even sent my ex's phone number to 3 girlfriends so I couldn't call him.

I became vulnerable, but authentic. I had to let myself out and I emerged whole.

Part of losing the weight is losing all the protection that I have. I erroneously think that I can protect myself if I appear to have it together, but it's the other way around. I must be vulnerable to be authentic. I must share myself openly and honestly if I want to be genuinely supported.

Yesterday I let a little me out and I received a wallop of cheers from LTer4ever, Brandi, Kud, Scale Junkie, Felicia, and Sherre. Thank you for all the support :-)

3 comments:

  1. You are so welcome! I consider you part of my support group, too. You are so right about being honest.I think I have only been able to do this with my blog. I'm still afraid that people in "real life" might not be so accepting. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to HYC! Sounds like you really think things through and you are ready to do this! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a theory that in general we are suffering from disconnection and it is the root of all our other psychological and physical ailments.

    It's great to have cheerleaders and shoulders.

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links WILL be deleted.

Copyright 2008 to present. Images from stock.xchng unless otherwise noted.