Burn Baby Burn (04/04/09 - 07/03/09)

Monday, February 2, 2009

The Psychology of a Gain

B2B W5: 45/250, --, 0 stairs/0 left
B2B W4 WI: +0.2lbs
Total Weight Loss: -6.0lbs

I gained 0.2 lbs this week.

Intellectually I know that this is virtually staying steady and that it can be caused by anything. In actuality, I am PISSED. I was more pissed on Saturday when I found out. Today, it's a minor annoyance. But this anger and annoyance plays itself out.

On Saturday when I heard the gain, the first thoughts that reeled through my mind were, "WTF do I have to do to lose a f!@king pound?" Then the bootcamp thoughts came in, "Well, out with the stairs for starch program. I'm not doing any flour or sugar. PERIOD." The leader tried to rationalize with the usual questions. Did I track? Did I eat ALL my points? Did I exercise? Is it that time of the month? The answers were yes, yes (except AP's (25) and 9 of my flex points), yes, NO. Then she asked the person next to her and she said something silly like don't eat the flex points, just eat all the activity points.

Can I just say that I HATE incompetence!!!

I just walked away saying we'll see what happens next week. Because, at that point, that was all I could do. LOGICALLY.

But since then, my mind has been running the "to hell with it" program. Did I enthusiastically go to the gym after the meeting like I do every Saturday? NO. I did manage to drag myself there for a lack luster (I could read) 45-minute workout on the bike. Did I even take the stairs up to the cardio machines? NOPE. I reasoned that since the whole stairs for starch thing was failing why bother. The food wasn't TOO bad. I stayed within points, but did I go out of my way to eat healthy, wholesome foods? NOPE. And on Sunday I didn't even get all of my water in - ordinarily a no brainer. Adding insult to injury, I didn't do my workout this morning.

All this after having a stellar 7 star week last week. (Big win. I got the last 2 stairs in.)

I was so proud of myself before that weigh in. In my mind, I finished January strong. I hurdled over the 1000 minute mark. I was eating healthy, wholesome food by choice. I was getting every vegatable in, even more than was required on most days. I was trying interesting recipes. I enjoyed trying new vegatables. Brown rice is now my friend. My food is very clean. I was thinking of interesting ways to challenge myself in the exercise realm.

All of that progress tossed for what? A point two pound gain. It seems ridiculous, doesn't it? So what do I do now?

Well, I allowed myself the little pity party. (It'll be shorter next time.) As of this moment, I am back in the game. Back to the Back to Basics Challenge. For the challenge, I'm required to exercise at least 250 minutes a week and stay on plan every day. Being on plan for the day means that I eat within my points, I eat at least 5 servings of fruit/vegatables, I drink 48 ounces of water, I take a multivitamin, and I can eat one serving of white flour, sugar, potatoes, or rice for every 5 flights of stairs I take.

It's that simple. And it's totally within my control. That's the reason I set up the challenge that way. The weight will come off if I'm on plan and I exercise. My body does strange things from week to week.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh that's annoying. But I can tell you that I will gain or lose 5 pounds from day to day - there are soooooo many factors involved. But I understand what a slap in the face it is to see that on the scale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know everyone hits these little road blocks, but you're doing the right thing. You're getting back up and hitting it hard again. You know you can do it. You know you have support. AND you were smart enough to allow yourself a small pity party before you moved on. That's good, cause you need to take that time to be angry and re-evaluate. Get it out of your system!!

    NOW, good luck with week. Attack it with a vengence!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Healthy You challenge! It's good to see some new faces, and can I tell you, I have SO been there on the "but... but... I didn't do anything WRONG..." so many times...

    I'd love to be condescending and tell you it gets easier with time, and your weight does fluctuate a lot and biology is often just whacked out... except that it doesn't help, and you and I both know it.

    It doesn't get any easier to deal with the gains... although I have gotten better ABOUT dealing with the gains, but that moment when my WW leader makes that little pucker face and "oh, it's just a small gain..." ARGH! I could kill someone.

    Sometimes all the hard work in the world doesn't pay off, and sometimes you can't figure out why you didn't lose. I find sometimes that tracking over a month helps me better than looking at individual weeks or even days.

    But have faith. Eventually, you will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having an unexpected gain after an incredible week always derails me! Hopefully you will get your focus back before it does damage!

    Good Luck!

    Happy Weight Loss!
    Linda
    http://operationsticktoit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am so with you on this one. I still remember the gains I had and yes, I was pissed most of those times. I know the leader was trying to be helpful, but it is annoying at best, huh? I started telling myself this before each WI and it seems to work thus far and I don't know if it will help you, but here it is: It is normal to fluctuate (gain or lose) an average of half a pound to 2 lbs each week.

    I'm happy to see that you vented and now you are back in the game. Keep on keeping on, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links WILL be deleted.

Copyright 2008 to present. Images from stock.xchng unless otherwise noted.