Burn Baby Burn (04/04/09 - 07/03/09)

Monday, May 4, 2009

Food of the Week: Blackberries

BBB W5: 165/300

When we go to the grocery, boyfriend always tries a new food. It used to annoy me at first. I like lists, and his surprise food of the week was never on the list.

Anyway, about a month ago, I started this experiment. It's fun. I found out about grape tomatoes (so yummy), Macaroni Grill entrees in a box (good for a quick healthy meal), and steamables.

This week I'm trying blackberries.

They're pretty good. I like to put it on my tongue and press it against the top of my mouth. It bursts and the juices goes pop all over my mouth. I like them because they're popable and don't require any preparation except washing. They taste like fruit juice to me, and just a touch on the bitter side. I don't know how to pick blackberries. So, I'm not sure if it's supposed to taste that way or if I got a bad batch.

On the health and nutrition side, I learned that they're a great source of fiber, anti-oxidants, and vitamin E.

It's a keeper, even though I prefer rasperries because they taste like jello:-)

5 comments:

  1. I love blackberries. I haven't found them particularly bitter, but they aren't quite as sweet a raspberries, I don't think. Oddly enough, it was my granddaughter that got me trying something new in the grocery store every time she comes to visit. Now I quite often pick up something I've never tried before. It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum blackberries! I love that berries are starting to come in season, they are by far my favorite category of fruits. I think it's great that youre trying something new each week! Keeps things interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love blackberries. My kids want me to get some bushes for the back yard. If I do, I'll grow them in large pots, because when I move from this apartment, I'm taking my blackberries with me! When we lived up north we used to grow them in a pot on the porch. The kids were disappointed that there were so few berries on the bush. They didn't know I'd been eating them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like blackberries, but can't stand anything raspberry! Not even scented candles! :-)

    So many good fruits to choose from. Can't wait until the farmers' market starts up on Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blackberries grow wild near where my dad lives in the UK so we pick them to make jam, but I've never even seen them in the supermarket here in Japan.

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links WILL be deleted.

Copyright 2008 to present. Images from stock.xchng unless otherwise noted.